Sunday, August 8, 2010

New Magnolia Card & Card Making Tutorial

Hello,
Today I sat down and made my August Mingle partner's card. Since a few ladies from the Magnolia group were asking about card tutorials, I decided to make one. Mind you, this is one of my more simple styled cards, but you could spruce it up with a few more embellishments, or layers of paper and cardstock.

For this card I used the following supplies:

Stamps: Tilda with Bee by Magnolia Sweden, Perfect Punches by Stampin' Up! and Just Buzzin' By by Stampin' Up!

Cardstock: carrot, gold, mustard, all by Creative Memories, 2 shades of green from unknown and a yellow shade from Bazzill

Paper: honeycomb by Creative Memories

Card Base: kraft by Gartner Studios size 6.5 in x 5 in

Embellishments: Fancy Pants Prima flowers Beach Hut yellow and orange, champagne half back faux pearls by Kaiser Scrapbook, glitter glue by Studio G, polka dot ribbon by unknown

Ink: Copics colors listed in tutorial, Chocolate Chip and Creamy Caramel by Stampin' Up!

If you click on each picture, it does become larger.

Step 1: Adhere glitter glue and half back pearls to Prima flowers, so that the glue can dry while I am making the rest of the card.



Step 2: Color The Image You Are Planning To Use. I use copics.



I almost always start with the skin first. For This Tilda, I used E11, E00, E000 and E0000 for her skin.I also used R20 for her cheeks.

I then colored the bee using Y35, 100 (black), and G14 for a leaf under the bee.




I then colored her clothing. I used B21 and B24 for her jeans. YR12, YR14, and YR00 for her socks, and shirt.



I then colored her hair, using E11, E13, and E15.



Lastly, I shadowed around my image using E30 and O (the colorless blender) and I added glitter glue to the wings of the bee.



Step 3: Create the card. First I took my ribbon, cut about 7 1/2 inches, for the piece to go around the card, and about 5 inches for the tie. I tied the smaller piece to the longer piece and then I adhered the ribbon behind the mustard layer and wrapped it around.The mustard layer is measured at 3 7/8 in. x 5 3/4 in.




I layered onto my kraft colored card, a piece of carrot cardstock measured at 4 3/4 in. x 6 1/4 in. Then on top of that a layer of honeycomb paper measured at 4 1/4 in. x 6 in.



I then placed the mustard colored layer with the ribbon attached on top of the honeycomb layer.



I then ran my colored image thru my Big Shot and using the Banner Layered Oval Scallop by Sizzix, I cute the image out with the smallest scalloped oval and then the middle sized oval in gold. I attached the ovals to the card.

I then used the "curly label" punch by Stampin' Up! to cut out the sentiment that was stamped in chocolate chip.I sponged the edges in creamy caramel ink and atatched it to the card using a dimensional (similar to a pop dot).

I then used the Martha Stewart punch "branch" and cut out several branches for leaves behind my flowers. I adhered the branches down first, arranging them randomly, with 2 way glue, and then placed my glittered prima flowers on top using more dimensionals, that I cut down to be small enough to be hidden under the flowers.






Just a few close-ups of the flowers and sentiment.





For the inside, I kept it simple. I layered the mustard on top of a piece of carrot cardstock, the randomly stamped a sentiment all over, using the full ink and stamped off ink technique in chocolate chip.You can make these any size mats on the inside.You also could embellish the inside more as well.



I hope my tutorial is helpful, if you have any questions, please do leave me a comment or email me. Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

Pat said...

What a fab tutorial!! Your card is just darling! Pat Frank

Autumn said...

Great card! Love the colors! TFS!
xxAutumn

Lisette Morris said...

Very sweet card! Thanks for sharing!

charlene aka scrappygma said...

what a cute little card and how nice of you to do a tutorial very well done !
Hugs

cabio's craft corner said...

Great tutorial and beautiful card for sharing :o)
Hugs,
Cabio